Tuesday, February 16, 2010

paczkis


Milwaukee has more than 60,000 people that claim Polish ancestry, which is no suprise that there are several Polish people who live at the Milwaukee Catholic Home (my place of employment). 

That being said, I learned a new Polish tradtion today...

A Fat Tuesday tradition for the Polish is to eat paczkis, which is basically a filled doughnut.  
 common pronunciations are PAWNCH-KEE, PONCH-KEE, PUNCH-KEE or PANCH-KEE

This morning, all the residents headed down to The Solarium (MCH's beautiful sun room) and indulged in a paczki and a cup o' joe.

They kept saying "Danielle, don't you want a paczki?! They are sooo yummy!"

no. stay away from the paczkis.

They look delicious! We had raspberry, prune (ew, but the traditional Fat Tuesday paczki), bavarian cream and apple filled. I overheard someone say they are about 500 calories per paczki.

stay away from the paczkis.

must read the article linked above. titled "Paczki will fatten up Milwaukeeans"
another reason why i will "stay away from the paczkis."

1 comment:

Caroline Elizabeth said...

and the cheese curds--you wisconsiners and your deliciously fattening foods!! ;)

P.S. I left some in Tinas fridge last night--she was pissed.